World Environment Day – 05/06/2015
Friday the 5th of June is World Environment Day. World Environment Day (or WED) is the United Nations’ way of encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the environment. Celebrated by people in over 100 countries, WED also serves as day for people across the world to consciously do something positive for the environment, bringing individuals together to make a real difference.
The theme for World Environment Day 2015 is “Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care.” The well-being of humanity ultimately depends upon the responsible management of the planet’s natural resources. And yet, people are still consuming far more natural resources than what the planet can sustainably provide. In fact, if current consumption remains the same, by 2050 we will need three planets to sustain our ways of living and consumption.
Aware Environmental is committed to helping create a sustainable future for our Earth. All our products are made with sustainable (plant based) natural, eco responsible ingredients and are 100% palm oil free.
To help celebrate World Environment day Aware Environmental has five tips for living sustainably. Introduce them into your day to day life this WED and make a difference!
- When using the washing machine, it’s always best to use cold water and wash at non-peak hours. Usually between the hours of 6-8 am and 8-10 pm. Using an eco-responsible washing powder, such as AWARE SENSITIVE Laundry Power or Liquid, will mean that the water that goes down the drain is eco-safe and nonhazardous to waterways. Using a drying rack or clothes line to dry your laundry is also great for saving energy.
- When you flush the toilet you are wasting water. To conserve water you can place a 2L milk bottle full of water in the cistern. This will save up to 2 litres of water with every flush!
- Stop energy from escaping your electronic devices by turning power off at the wall when devices are not in use. Once you make it into a habit you will be surprised at how much you can save- for the environment and on your electricity bill!
- Avoid buying and eating foods that have excessive packaging, and instead go for fresh, unprocessed groceries. Not only will you be living more sustainably, you will probably also be a lot healthier!
- Approximately 22 billion plastic bottles are thrown away every year, many of which end up in landfill or as pollution in oceans and other waterways. Avoid water, soft drinks or juices that come in a plastic bottle. Instead carry a re-usable water bottle with you, or opt for more easily recyclable glass or cardboard options. Also keep an eye out for products that are packaged in recycled materials, like the ORANGE POWER and AWARE SENSITIVE ranges.