The Ultimate Spring Clean Check List
Spring has sprung, and so has the sudden urge to purge your home and give it a thorough clean. While it sounds like a daunting task, breaking it up into smaller parts can help you clean your home – room by room – and make sure no drawers are left unturned.
To make things easy – we’ve created the ultimate spring clean check list.
Tip: Start with the activities that will apply to all rooms of the house, then go through each room one by one with the specific cleaning tasks.
1. Dust ceiling fans and light fixtures
2. Vacuum curtains and window blinds
3. Wipe down mouldings
4. Dust room corners
5. Clean window sills
6. Disinfect door knobs, cabinet handles and light switches
7. Test batteries in smoke detectors
Arguably the room that gets the most action every day, your kitchen is the space that needs to be the cleanest. After all, it’s where you prepare the meals you eat! Make sure your kitchen appliances are sparkling with this check list:
1. Empty refrigerator and defrost freezer (and clean the refrigerator shelves)
2. Wipe down microwave, coffee maker, other small appliances
3. Empty crumbs in toaster
4. Deep clean your oven
5. Scrub the stovetop
6. Clear out cabinets and wash the shelves
7. Sanitise the sink
8. Don’t forget to clean behind and beneath the refrigerator too!
The place where all the magic happens needs a little freshening up too. There’s not much to do after giving the room a dusting, vacuuming and cleaning, but remember to do these steps after you have cleaned the whole room:
1. Re-organise your drawers and closets
2. Donate any clothes that you haven’t worn in at least 2 years
3. Rotate your mattress
4. If you have kid’s toys – disinfect them and throw the plastic ones in the dishwasher
The room that sees a lot of grime and gunk each week needs a deep clean often. Once you’ve given the bathroom a sanitising spritz, it’s time to check off this list of spring cleaning tasks:
1. Re-organise cabinets and drawers
2. Dispose any expired medicine and toiletries
3. Give the shower and bathtub a good scrub
4. Wash the shower curtain and floor mats
5. Scrub the toilet
6. Deep clean the tiles around the toilet
One of the most used rooms in any household, the living room is a place that tends to collect dust and dirt throughout the year. Even with regular cleaning, it’s a good idea to give this room a thorough deep clean.
1. Move all the furniture so you can vacuum underneath
2. Wash cushion covers
3. Vacuum all the crevasses that you usually miss
4. Re-organise any cabinets and drawers and clear out the junk
5. Deep clean the carpet or rug
After giving the room a regular clean, think about the items that get used often but never get cleaned.
1. Grab some canned air and give the keyboard a proper clean
2. Disinfect the computer mouse and phone
3. Clear out the desk and re-file loose documents
4. Move the desk and furniture around so you can vacuum any crevasses
The hardest working room of the house – if you’re like us, your laundry room is in operation 7 days a week. After you clean up the space, remember these few extra tasks:
1. Clean behind the washer and dryer
2. Thoroughly clean the lint trapped in the washer and dryer
3. Re-organise your cleaning products in the cupboards
Now that we can begin to enjoy the sun outdoors again, it’s time to give your outdoor space a mini makeover so your backyard is ready to entertain!
1. Remove everything from your garage and re-organise it again
2. Make a pile of items for sale, a pile to donate, and a pile to throw out
3. Hose out your rubbish and recycling bins
4. Pressure wash your deck and outdoor furniture
5. Remove any screens and wash them with soapy water
6. Check for blocked drains and wash them out with drain cleaner
7. Wash the outside of your windows
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to bust out your natural cleaning products and get scrubbing.
By the time you get to the end of this list, you’ve probably broken out into a sweat. But it’s all worth it for a sparkling clean home that’s ready for the summer months.